Tuesday 6 August 2019

Review: Evil Under The Sun, by Agatha Christie

Evil Under The SunEvil Under The Sun by Agatha Christie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

By the time I was fifty pages in I was gripped, and no murder had taken place! Agatha Christie really is the master of building tension and keeping the reader on the edge of their seat.

In this book she sets the scene, introducing the reader to all of the characters, giving them time to wonder who will be murdered and who will be the killer. This is a Hercule Poirot novel. He is also on holiday at this elite hotel, on an isolated island, which is a private island and so not open to the public. This means only so many people can be the murderer, surely, thus it can't be that hard to guess who done it - wrong!

Christie has a particular art for the red herring, giving the reader so many options it makes it difficult to discern among all the possibilities and in this novel, multiple loose ends to try and include. I thought I had an idea, as I often do when reading her novels, but as usual, I was wrong. It's always someone who you thought had a cast iron alibi, and from a perspective that has not been seen yet.

This is the type of book that keeps me coming back for more. Good character development, and a story line that moves forward at a fast pace keeping you glued to the last page.

View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment